Pages

Monday, October 24, 2016

Review: Silk Elements Pure Oils Masque

Deep conditioners: these are a must for curly girls. Actually, conditioner in general is an absolute must for us. As a general rule, curly hair is drier than straight. Why is this? Well, it takes longer for oil to move down curly hair than it does for straight hair. I like to say it's taking the scenic route ;)

Basically, a deep conditioner gives your hair more moisture....DEEP moisture ideally. Deep conditioners are especially good for dry, damaged hair. It's recommended to deep condition at least once a week, depending on how dry your hair is. If you have fine hair, then you don't need to deep condition as much. 

I bought Pure OIls (by Silk Elements) Intense Hydration Mask from Sally Beauty Supply a few months ago. It has Castor Oil, Shea Butter, Olive Oil, and Aloe Vera in it. The Olive Oil and Aloe Vera are supposed to smooth the cuticle while Shea Butter and Castor Oil moisturize the hair. The product as a whole is also supposed to improve manageability, strengthen hair, and retain moisture and softness.



I'll start with what I liked about the product:

(1) It is inexpensive (duh, I am a curly on a budget). I got it for eight bucks, but it is on sale right now for six at Sally's!

(2) You only have to leave it in for 5-10 minutes. One of my requirements for a deep conditioner is a short leave-in time. I am a mom of two and I don't have the time or patience for much longer than five minutes. So on wash day, I can do my thing, apply the deep conditioner, do the rest of my shower stuff, rinse it out, and I'm done!

(3) Good slip. 

Now for what I didn't like:

(1) The smell. I'll be honest, I thought it smelled like bananas. I don't hate bananas, but I don't like my hair smelling like them. Although I believe the smell does rinse out pretty well, so I guess this isn't the worst thing.

(2) It weighs my hair down. I don't know what it is, but I feel like my hair doesn't have much volume when I do use this. I can tell it moisturizes, but not much else. Maybe it's the fact it has so many oils in it? I guess there is such a thing as too many oils for some people. Maybe it's the shea butter? That can weigh some curlies' hair down. I guess this could work for someone whose hair is drier than mine. Maybe it works for the coily folks? 

I could be using this product all wrong for my hair--maybe skip my rinse-out conditioner and use this instead? I tried altering how much I use, but that hasn't made much of a difference. 

So for me, I would give this deep conditioner 3 out of 5 stars. I think this would work great for someone with more coarse, drier hair than mine.

FYI: I am not being compensated in any way for my review. I bought this product with my own money :)


No comments:

Post a Comment